Server 2022 and iOS app

Problems or questions with the Lights-Out Mobile app on iOS, Android and WP are answered here
jsyshaggy
Foren-Einsteiger

Server 2022 and iOS app

Beitrag von jsyshaggy »

Hi,
I have a licensed version of lights out 3 running on windows server 2022. I’ve just bought the iOS app wanting to control turn on the server when needed rather than have it running all the time. I can connect the app fine and see the server in the “select server” screen but when I click this I don’t have anything else showing. If I click the server icon the options appear but it states “forbidden for this device”. How can I fix this?
Thanks
Martin

Re: Server 2022 and iOS app

Beitrag von Martin »

Open console, go to mobile devices and double click the phone. Enable server actions.
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

If you run server 2023 be sure to apply the hot fix. See blog or announcements.

Regards
Martin
jsyshaggy
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jsyshaggy »

Thanks for the really fast reply and I applied the update when trying to fix it but again thanks for the tip. I swear the Mobile tab wasn't there when I was looking around but I could be mistaken and it's working now.
Maybe worth noting it fails a few times whilst the server fires up but I can live with this.
The only problem I have now is that I entered the internal IP and whilst this works if I try adding the external domain it fails with a 404 error when connecting. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

For external access you need a domain name from e.g. NoIP or Dyn etc. You also need either a valid certificate or you need to import a self signed certificate with the correct domain name.
You can't use the external IP address.

What have you tried?
jsyshaggy
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jsyshaggy »

I’m currently setting up a small site and rather than using a ddns, I used the domain I already had, I then setup and created a certificate through cloudflare. Browsing to the domain name via https, loads and shows the certificate so I assume it’s working.
I’ve tried entering the same domain name in the app but that’s where I get the 404

Thanks again
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Have you forwarded port 7784 to external?
jsyshaggy
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jsyshaggy »

Hi and sorry for not replying,
I only get to work on this at night and I have spent the last few changing settings in Cloudflare. As far as I can tell Cloudflare is routing fine and the certificate is working though I am still playing with this).

The port is forwarded in the router and the firewall is open for port 7784.

I assume I should be able to just enter https://sitename.com and I dont need to enter the port? I just get a 404 but the message verify your server name.

Thanks
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Can you access https://sitename.com:7784 in Safari?
If that does not work, Lights-Out does neither.
jsyshaggy
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jsyshaggy »

I mistakenly changed something on the server and ended up reinstalling the OS so I'm now on a fairly blank canvas. I have two ways I could possibly get to the server from outside -
1) Via Cloudflare where I have the A name record routing to the IP and a script updating this every 5 minutes so it should be kept up to date
2) Using a ddns service from changeip.net which updates from my router.

Using RDP I can remote in with the DDNS appended with a port but I can't with the Cloudflare domain so I assume there is a problem somewhere with Cloudflare and the domain name rather than a problem with the firewall ports.

So ruling out cloudflare if I just focus on the DDNS name (as that at least works for RDP) I've reinstalled Lights-out and created a self signed certificate with the ddns domain. I can navigate to that address with port 7784 in safari and I get a "Lights out-3 Content" page after going through another unsecure page. If I check the certificate I can see this matches the one I setup.

If I try to use this domain in the Mobile app though I still get a 404. I've also temporarily disabled the Firewall to rule this out
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Have you installed the root-ca from the Lights-Out download page? Then you should not see a security warning anymore in safari.
If that works, then LO-Mobile should work too using the same domain name.
jsyshaggy
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jsyshaggy »

Sorry I must be missing this. I've looked at the download page and couldnt see this and theres no reference I could see in the guide so rent sure where to put it when I do
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Scroll down on the download page, it's on the bottom.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

You have to install it on your iPhone.
jsyshaggy
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jsyshaggy »

Sorted thanks. I struggled a bit so hopefully the following will help others -

First my setup - I'm using Server 2022 Datacentre, an Apple iPhone 11 with iOS 16.2, Lights Out 3 on the server and v3.7 of the app on my phone. I have ddns setup with changeip and this is updated automatically from my router.

1) After installing the Lights Out 3 software on the server, another piece of software automatically runs with an option to either use an existing certificate or create a self signed certificate. (when I first ran the software over a year ago I didn't do this at all but have since discovered you can run this manually at any time by simply running the "Lights-Out 3 Server SSL Configuration" tool.
2) When setting up the self signed certificate I added the ddns name I created with changeip.
3) The firewall settings looked ok especially those relating to 7784 (Lights-Out 3 External SSL Transport) but I actually needed to change a setting to allow public access (load the 7784 rule, select the advanced tab and select public).
4) Once the server is configured navigate to the server including port 7784 (i.e. https://ddns:7784 in my case) in Safari - you get a page warning about certificate security.
5) Accept the certificate warning and the next page has what looks like a button called "Download Installers" (this isn't a button as I thought it's a link to the installers - I didn't click this thinking it was going to download the software I already had).
6) When you get to the next page there is a root certificate at the bottom - click this and it temporarily installs itself to "General" > "VPN & Device Management".
7) Install the certificate and then go to "General" > "About" > "Certificate Trust Settings" - toggle the button to enable full trust.
8) Now go to the app on your phone and enter the ddns site name (no port needed), servername (I kept this the same as my server), username and password
9) Click connect to server and save
10) This should connect now and back on the server in the Lights Out App the phone will appear in the Mobile Devices tab
11) If you want to manage the hibernation like I did "View the device properties" and check the "Allow server actions" box

I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not but I also added the ddns name and 7784 to the Lights Out settings for Wake-on-WAN
Antworten