New install won't wake

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
skinnyJM
Foren-Einsteiger

New install won't wake

Beitrag von skinnyJM »

Been using Lights Out since v1 and like it a lot. But I now have problems. I recently migrated my W10 Pro based home server to a HP Z230 Workstation with 4th gen i7 on Sept 30. OS is installed alone on Samsung 120 GB SSD.
Problem is it will not wake up for:
1. the default calendar entry to check for Lights Out updates (Fridays at 6 AM).
2. the calendar entry, I created, for client backups (Saturdays at 7:50 PM).
3. the calendar entry, I created, for Windows Updates (2nd Tuesday each month at 8 PM).
4. The server's own backup scheduled through Windows for Sundays at 8 PM.

I did a repair install though Control Panel Programs and Features but that did not help.

It is also not recording any data for the "Savings" section on the Status tab, it says "No recorded data available for reporting so far" although it has been 30 days since installation.

My previous W10 Pro based home servers (using Dell OptiPlex and HP 8300 machines) have had intermittent issues with calendar entries I created, but always woke up for the Lights Out update check (#1 above) and the server back up (#4).

Not sure what the problem is.

Thank You for any assistance.
Martin

Re: New install won't wake

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi, from what state should the server wake up?
Have you checked the power settings: https://help.green-it-software.com/help ... rPlan.html

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
skinnyJM
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von skinnyJM »

Hi Martin,
Thank You for the reply.
The server should be waking from the standard "Save energy (Standby)" state.
I checked the power settings as shown on the webpage referenced and they match.
Sleep set to Never, Hibernate set to Never, Wake timers set to Enable.
Hybrid sleep does not appear as an option.

I can wake it with a client computer it just doesn't want to wake in the 4 situations listed in original post.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

You can call

powercfg -waketimers

on the command line to verify, that the timers are set.

If this command shows timers, then it's probably a BIOS issue. You can check if there is a BIOS setting which affects the timers.

Regards
Martin
skinnyJM
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von skinnyJM »

Thanks Martin.
Here's what I got on that (I will have to dive in the BIOS setup later).
--------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.3570]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -waketimers
Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker) expires at 8:59:29 PM on 11/5/2023.
Reason: Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsBackup\AutomaticBackup' scheduled task that requested waking the computer.

Timer set by [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files\AxoNet Software GmbH\LightsOut3\LightsOut2.Server.Service.exe (LightsOut3Svc) expires at 5:59:29 AM on 11/3/2023.

Timer set by [PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\StartMenuExperienceHost.exe expires at 9:48:05 PM on 11/3/2023.

C:\Windows\system32>
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Ok, that means that the timers are set. If they can fire in hibernation depends on Windows power settings (which you already checked) and BIOS.
skinnyJM
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von skinnyJM »

Thanks Martin.
I've taken a dive into the BIOS and changed/adjusted some settings but still no waking up even for the default "check for updates" calendar event that should have occurred this morning.
Thank You for all your replies.
But it appears as if this recent OS install has a problem since the "Savings" section is still showing "No recorded data available for reporting so far", as reported in initial post, so something isn't right.
I'm going to try reinstalling and even use a different SSD for the OS. I will see if that does anything.
Thank You again and keep up the great work on Lights Out! :)
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Good luck,what is the OS?
skinnyJM
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von skinnyJM »

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 build 19045.3570
skinnyJM
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von skinnyJM »

It looks like I may have figured out what was preventing the wake timers from working. After reinstalling Windows 10 Pro I checked the power settings again as recommended previously and noticed Hybrid Sleep is available whereas it was not before.
In an effort to discover why Hybrid Sleep was there this time, I went through everything I had done in the reinstall so far and realized I had not yet enabled Core Isolation/Memory Integrity in the Windows Security app. I searched online and discovered that if Memory Integrity is enabled, it uses Hypervisor which does not support Hybrid Sleep. So I did not enable Memory Integrity and the wake timer for the test calendar event I created worked and the wake up for the server backup tonight worked as well.
I had not used a PC for home server previously that had the ability to enable Memory Integrity so had not run across this before. Memory Integrity will remain disabled.

Hopefully this will also solve the problem I had with the Savings section on the LO Status tab populating with data.

Thanks again.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Thanks for discovering the primary source for this issue!

Martin
Antworten