Server goes into Standby while Backup running

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
gcoupe
Foren-Einsteiger

Server goes into Standby while Backup running

Beitrag von gcoupe »

Up until recently, my server (running Windows 10) has always remained awake until PC client backups have been completed. Now, it will go into standby even when a client backup is running.

I can't be certain, but this behaviour may have started during March, possibly since version 3.5 or 3.5.1 was installed.

I have the server set to be awake every morning between 07:30 and 08:00. I turn on my main desktop PC between these times, and a daily backup task is triggered. Once the task is running, I expect it to run to completion, and then see a notification from the server that it is going into standby. These days, I see the standby notification even while the Backup is running; the server goes into standby, and the Backup fails.

I'm using Veem Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0.2.1170 on my desktop PC (which is running Windows 10).

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.
Martin

Re: Server goes into Standby while Backup running

Beitrag von Martin »

Is the client backup recognised? Please double click the client machine in the Lights-Out Konsole and verify that Veeam is selected.
BTW: Lights-Out 3.5.1 supports the new Veeam Agent 4.0.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
gcoupe
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von gcoupe »

Well, it seems to be selected as far as I can see.
LightsOut 06.png
LightsOut 06.png (100.62 KiB) 7795 mal betrachtet
Is there a version 4.0 of Veem Backup? My update check in Veem keeps telling me that I have the latest version (3.0.2.1170) installed...
gcoupe
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von gcoupe »

I've since installed version 4 of Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows. No difference to the issue - the server will still go to sleep while a backup is being taken, even though the Lights Out icon in the taskbar shows, and states, that a backup is currently running.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Veeam is a client backup, i.e. it runs local on the client machine. To keep the server awake, you have to monitor either:
- the client
- the network load created by the backup
- the share where you save the backup

BTW: If you double click on the backup header separators you get a perfect fit of your columns.
gcoupe
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von gcoupe »

OK, but then I'm still not understanding why the Backup is now failing.

I have always had network load monitoring checked (with 15 KB/s as the setting):
LightsOut 08.png
LightsOut 08.png (28.84 KiB) 7525 mal betrachtet
When the client backup is running, the network load is almost always well above this limit, with major peaks every few seconds:
LightsOut 07.png
LightsOut 07.png (58 KiB) 7525 mal betrachtet
So why is this now failing?
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Does the backup fail because the server goes offline? Or does it fail with another reason?
The network settings look good.

Please send your server logs to suppport@green-it-software.com and add a refernce to this discussion.
Simply zip the whole folder c:\programdata\LightsOut3\Logs (via right click, send to compressed folder). If you do not see a folder c:\programdata, then open explorer options and enable "show hidden files and folders".

Regards
Martin
gcoupe
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von gcoupe »

The backup fails because the server goes to sleep (Lights Out initiates a standby).

I'll send the logs. Thank you.
Antworten