LO 2.x Setup for Two Servers

Problems or questions about Lights-Out 2 on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

LO 2.x Setup for Two Servers

Beitrag von LanMan »

Hi Folks,

I would like some advice. I have two computers I plan to use as specialized servers. The File server would be available when the clients are running. The Backup server would be awake for client and server backup only and sleep the rest of the day.

The first is a WHS2011 server will act as a file server. LO would monitor the 4 client computers and keep the file server running when required.

The second is a Windows 10 machine specialized in backup for each of the 4 clients and backup of the server. The Win 10 server would run only at night (00:00 to 06:00) and the clients would run Windows tasks to back up using EaseUS ToDo Home. The WHS server would back up to the Win10 Server using the built in WHS2011 server backup method. I plan to put LO 2.xx on the Win 10 Server without client monitoring. LO 2.xx would only wake the server during the client backup periods and then put it to sleep for the rest of the day.

What is the best way to accomplish this objective?

Thanks,
LanMan
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Re: LO 2.x Setup for Two Servers

Beitrag von LanMan »

Hi Folks,

Apologies for using English. My question remains unanswered. Perhaps the focus of the question is not clear. I have a Pro L0 2.5 license. Both servers will be headless.

I have two servers. One will be a backup computer that runs only a few hours at night. The other will be a file server that will run on demand using LO 2.5 client monitoring. Here is my proposed setup...will it work?

- Back up Server ...install LO 2.5 and use it wake the computer and report up time. Setup would be as documented in the Use Cases for Backup Server.

- File Server ... install LO 2.5 and set it up to monitoring the clients, reporting up time etc.

- Client Computers ... Install LO 2.5 Client software. Make monitoring connection to the File Server Only. Use client software ot manage both servers.

- Installation Plan: (1) Put L0 2.5 on the file Server (2) Put LO 2.5 on each client (3) Set up monitoring and test (4) Install Lo 2.5 on the back up server. Use settings for Back UP server documented in the Use cases.

Will this work? What issues will I face?

Would I be better off to omit step (4) on the backup server and use old fashioned Windows Tasks to wake and sleep the backup sever?

I have been running LO 1.6 for years.

Thanks!
Nobby1805

Beitrag von Nobby1805 »

LanMan hat geschrieben: 7. Jan 2018, 15:31 Apologies for using English.
I think using English is the expectation in this English-Part of the Forum :D

Please wait some time, I think Martin, the developer of LO, is on vacation
WHS:inzwischen abgeschaltet Acer H340 mit 1x 1 TB (WD10EAVS), 3x 2 TB (2 WD20EARS und 1 ST2000DM001), PP3+UR2
Server:
Intel Celeron J3455 auf Gigabyte Board, Win 10 Pro x64 21H2, 640 GB (System), 16 TB (Backup), 4 TB (Daten), Lindenberg Backup und LightsOut 3
5 Clients:
1 Intel i5-4670K, ASUS H87-PRO, 32 GB, 250 GB SSD, 2x 500 GB, Win 10 Pro x64 21H2
1 Lüfterlos fürs Wohnzimmer, Intel Celeron N4100, 4 GB, 128 GB, Win 11 Pro x64 21H2
1 AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, Gigabyte AORUS, 32 GB, Win 10 Pro x64 2009
1 Sony Vaio EB 2H4E, Win 10 Home x64 2009
1 Samsung NP-R540-JS09DE, Win 10 Pro x64 2009

WHSListTombstones, ein Tool zur Auflistung aller Tombstones
WHSDisks, ein Tool zur Darstellung und Prüfung der DriveExtender-Konfiguration
WHSDiskNames, ein Tool zur Änderung der Plattennamen in der Konsole
WHSBackup, Infos und Tool zur Backup-DB (2011-Version (auch für WSE2012))
Bitte schreibt bei Fragen und Problemen eure Konfig in die Signatur
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi LanMan,

there are two limitations you should be aware of:
- a client can only connect to one server (in your case the file server) but can wake multiple machines
- EaseUS ToDo Home is not (yet) supported as backup provider. So you have to make sure, that the clients are online during backup time.

Install Lights-Out 2 on your WHS 2011 and connect the clients to this machine. To ensure that the clients are online during backup time use a scheduled task in Lights-Out 2.

Then install Lights.Out 2 on your backup server. Create a task to wake and sleep the backup server to your needs.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von LanMan »

Thanks Martin! Apologies for being impatient. I did ask a question during the holiday period. If anyone deserves a vacation it is you! No hard feelings. Your answer is much appreciated!

I know EaseUS is not supported. I have been using WHS native backup for years. In my experience, WHS is reliable, supported and storage efficient (deduped over a pool of clients, I believe). I just wanted to try EaseUS for a while and may go back to WHS native or Veeam End Point Free which I have tried and found to be both reliable and supported. It is deduped but may not be as efficient storage wise as (I could be wrong) dedupe is per client rather than per group of clients. EaseUS may have the same issue.
Antworten