Problem moving Windows 10 Clients from Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Essentials

Problems or questions about Lights-Out 2 on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
gls03
Foren-Einsteiger

Problem moving Windows 10 Clients from Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Essentials

Beitrag von gls03 »

I've been running Lights Out2 for quite a while on Server 2012 R2 Essentials with no problems. I've been attempting to move several Windows10 client computers to Server 2016 Essentials, and I've run into a brick wall. (This is a new installation of the server and Lights out 2 software on different hardware.)

The first client computer was a new Windows 10 installation that had never been connected to the 2012 R2 server, and after installing the Connector and Lights Out 2 applications, the computer works perfectly with the 2016 server and LO2 server. This leads me to believe that the new server and LO2 server are functioning correctly.

I then tried to move one of the old clients from the old server to the new one. I uninstalled the server 2012 R2 connector and LO2 apps, then installed the 2016 Connector and LO2 Apps. The connector worked fine, but the LO2 client can't see the new server. When I click on the "ABOUT" page of the LO2 icon on the client, the page indicates that it is still pointing to the old server. I looked at the Forum, and found this recent post:

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=23863#p171587

So, I uninstalled LO2 following those instructions (and the additional instruction a couple of posts later about a second deletion), reinstalled and I still have the same problem - the LO2 client still points to the old server, but the server 2016 connector points to the new server.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the LO2 client software several times, and during the install it never asks me to select a server, like the first (working) client did. It's as though the client is remembering the old server settings and assuming I still want to connect to the same old server.

(By the way, I tried to move a second computer from the old server to the new, with the same result.)

Gary Sanders
Martin

Re: Problem moving Windows 10 Clients from Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Essentials

Beitrag von Martin »

The old settings are preserved. You either need to reconnect the client to the new server, see here for details https://www.green-it-software.com/help2 ... uters.html
or you need to clean the preserved settings after uninstallation. To do this, delete c:\programfiles\LightsOut2Client.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
rspitzer
Foren-Einsteiger

Re: Problem moving Windows 10 Clients from Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Essentials

Beitrag von rspitzer »

I had this issue too when moving to server 2016. I found I could force the LO2 app to connect to the new server by opening the about window for LO2 (right click on the tray icon) then click on the server name that is connected. A window will open allowing you to connect to a different server. Once I did this my LO2 clients now finds the correct server on start up.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Yes, that's the recommended way, see my link above.
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Antworten