Client install process no longer automated?

Problems or questions about Lights-Out 2 on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
mkldsur
Foren-Einsteiger

Client install process no longer automated?

Beitrag von mkldsur »

Hi,

I just updated from version 1.x to the new 2.0, and was disappointed to find out that clients no longer install themselves automatically. With 2.0 I need to install the client package manually on each machine, which is a pain. I'm curious why this change was made, can someone please inform me? Also, will I need to repeat the client installation process each time I install future lights out version updates?

Last, a comment on these forums. I'm an English speaker, but there is still a lot of German here, such as the button to log into the forums so I can post this. When my login failed, I was presented with text in German that I had to take elsewhere to translate, and then when I tried to create a new user, it was whole screens of German. Is work still underway to provide a full English-only forum experience?

Thanks,
Aaron
Martin

Re: Client install process no longer automated?

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi Aaron,

Lights-Out version 1 had used the respective platform infrastructure, with WHS v1 it was the communication infrastructure, from WHS 2011 on it was the communication and the installation infrastructure, with the version for desktop or standard server it was a separate solution.
The downside was that I had 3 different, incompatible versions of Lights-Out, which were installed differently and communicated in different ways. As long as all this worked, the automatic deployment via WHS / Essentials connector was a fine thing, but bad if that that did not work. It’ also hard to support from my side since it is provided by the MS infrastructure.
Because of these reasons (too many dependencies to different infrastructures, too many different installation procedures, 3 separate projects to be maintained and the impossibility of fixing problems in the MS infrastructure), I decided to use a single solution for version 2. That is always the same installation, it is always communicated in the same technical way.
As a consequence, you now unfortunately encounter the one-time installation on every PC. Later updates will then be automatic. I know that this is not a good solution for a larger number of machines to be installed. For the next major update (probably in late summer) we will be adding automatic client installation via AD.

We know that the forum is not perfectly localised. It was a quick'n dirty solution after WGS closed their doors with only 14 days of time left to move to another solution.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

BTW: Have you changed your profile settings to English language?
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

2017-05-01_22h04_12.png
2017-05-01_22h04_12.png (64.66 KiB) 2477 mal betrachtet
Antworten