Client "Suspend Server Now"

Problems or questions about Lights-Out 2 on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
Slingers
Foren-Einsteiger

Client "Suspend Server Now"

Beitrag von Slingers »

Hi,

I've just upgraded to version 2 of the software and sorted out installing the client software. The option to "Suspend Server Now" is missing from my pop up list. I see "save energy now" which sleeps my server but "suspend server now" used to hibernate my server which is what I want it to do. Is there a configuration option I have missed to enable the suspend function from the client side. :nw
Martin

Re: Client "Suspend Server Now"

Beitrag von Martin »

This has been joined into one, save energy because the two options confused the users.

If the server supports standby, standby is used. If standby is not available, hibernation is used.
If hibernation nor standby is available and the action is forced, a shutdown is used instead.

Why do you want to use hibernation instead of standby?
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Slingers
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von Slingers »

Thanks Martin,

I tend to lean towards Hibernate as it does not draw power when the server is not in use. Also, if I am away for a while, I know the system is sort of "shut down" and if there is any power loss/spike I won't lose anything because the data is saved to disk rather than RAM.

But, other than that, it's just what I am used to, having done it for many years, and no real reason. I suppose I can use either mode really.

What do you think is the best?

My server tends to be in use, probably, 30-40% of every 24 hour period, with maybe 4 or 5 periods a year when it isn't used for a couple of weeks at a time.

Regards - Martyn
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Also, if I am away for a while, I know the system is sort of "shut down" and if there is any power loss/spike I won't lose anything because the data is saved to disk rather than RAM.
That's a case for hybrid standby. As soon as you have enabled hibernation, hybrid standby is available. It combines both advantages: Fast startup from RAM and protection against power fail.
Verify that it is enabled in your power plan (last screenshot on the left)
https://www.green-it-software.com/help/ ... r_plan.htm

That's my recommendation and what I use.
Martin
Slingers
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von Slingers »

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the continued support. My settings are exactly as in the link you provided, so all was set as you recommend :-).

Does that mean, when I select "save energy new" from my clients that it sends the server into the hybrid stand-by as it is enabled?
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Yes, If hybrid standby is enabled, it's used by Lights-Out.

Regards
Martin
Antworten