Multiple Servers...Possible?

Problems or questions about Lights-Out 2 on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Multiple Servers...Possible?

Beitrag von LanMan »

I have a WHS 2011 server that is working well for client backup under LO 1.6.

I would like to add a second server for centralized document/photo storage that would be accessed by the same client computers. My preference would be to use LO2 for the second server or on both servers.

Would it be sufficient to purchase a license and run both 1.6 and 2.0 on the same client computers? Or would I need two LO2 installs on each client?

Thanks,
Lanman
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Re: Multiple Servers - Same Client...Possible?

Beitrag von LanMan »

I have a WHS 2011 server that is working well for client backup under LO 1.6.

I would like to add a second server for snappier centralized document/photo storage that would be accessed by the same client computers. My preference would be to use LO2 for the second server or on both servers.

Would it be sufficient to purchase a license and run both 1.6 and 2.0 on the same client computers? Or would I need two LO2 installs on each client?

Thanks,
Lanman
Martin

Re: Multiple Servers...Possible?

Beitrag von Martin »

A Lights-Out client is always connected with and controlled by one server. If you install both 1.6 and 2.0 clients on the same machine, strange things can happen because these two clients are now interfering or fighting against each other.

What you can do:
- Wake both servers from one client (that was added in 2.0.1 https://www.green-it-software.com/6631/ ... ase-2-0-1/)
- Install Lights-Out 2.0 on both servers, the second one as primary master server with a Lights-Out license. The previous one in community mode as slave.
- Install a Lights-Out 2 client on the master server connected to the slave server. This ensures, that the master can wake the slave and the slave can monitor the master.
- The slave server does only monitor the master server. If the master goes into standby, the slave will follow 5 minutes later
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Re: Multiple Servers...Possible?

Beitrag von LanMan »

Thanks Martin! Sounds like this is the way to go!
Antworten