Server will not wake

Probleme oder Fragen zum Lights-Out Add-In unter allen Windows Plattformen werden hier beantwortet
Antworten
jheicron
Foren-Einsteiger

Server will not wake

Beitrag von jheicron »

Recently Lights out 2.5 stopped waking the server at the specified time. Once the server starts all client - server functions work as they should as configured. The server is a windows 10 PC with v21H1 and had been working fine. I am not sure when the issue started with respect to a Windows update but with the updates of late for Windows it is more likely than not a Windows issue. Just before the issue I updated the Realtech LAN driver and had an issue with the PC not staying asleep when I manually put it to sleep. I rolled back the driver and settings and cleared that up.

After that happened the PC would not go to sleep unless I did it manually and that is when LO would not wake the server. I checked the settings listed in the LO manual but could not resolve the issue. I then installed LO 3.5 trial and nothing changed. I checked wake timers in powercfg and LO was the only one in the list.
I did a clean boot in Windows and the PC would then sleep as configured until the next normal restart. With another clean boot I then uninstalled LO and upon normal restart sleep was back to normal. As a further test I tried to create a task in task scheduler and anything I tried would not wake the PC.

I have been looking through the Windows help forums to no avail.

I have installed LO 3.5 on a semi retired PC with the same Windows version and installed the client on the server and that functions as it should and wakes the server at the specified time.
The server is my primary PC and I use LO to wake and sleep the clients as needed for different projects via remote desktop connection.

I hope you can give me some things to look for so I can resolve this before I do a reinstall of Windows.

Thank you
Martin

Re: Server will not wake

Beitrag von Martin »

Please verify that wake-timers are still enabled: https://help.green-it-software.com/help ... rPlan.html

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
jheicron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jheicron »

After sending my post I did that again along with other settings and found that the wake timer setting was on priority setting. I don't know how that changed but I have checked that several times working on a previous issue. I could have mis-clicked when I checked it the last time or maybe a Windows update.
I set it correctly and now things are working except that now the server will not sleep on its own.
I tried to paste the screen grab of powercfg waketimer but it wouldn't copy.
I stopped each of the services shown in the waketimer powercfg one by one and the server will sleep if either one is stopped.
I checked the settings for the client so as to not keep the server running. When I shutdown the client computer then the server would sleep.

UPDATE: If I set server settings to save energy and 10 mn. and the Windows power setting to sleep at any time later the server sleeps after 10 mn.
If the server is set to do nothing and 10 mn the server will not sleep.
Is this a Windows issue or a configuration issue?
Again, this is the trial of 3.5
Thanks for your help.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

First: Lights-Out overrides the Windows power settings.

If you set "do nothing", the server will never sleep.
You have to use "Save energy" or any other action to stop the server.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
jheicron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jheicron »

As I said in my previous post the save energy setting at 10m the server went to sleep as it should. I thought that was the end of it so last night I set the time for 120m because I had a backup scheduled in the morning that takes about an hour, then I put the server in hibernate. The server woke up and the backup ran but the server did not sleep.
I checked wake timer requests and all that appears are the two LO services.
I don't know what is happening. At least LO is waking and the backups are running.
I guess I was under the mistaken impression that "do nothing" setting means that Windows power setting would take control after the delay time. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thank you for your continued help
Antworten