Wake-on-Lan Proxy with Raspberry Pi

Antworten
scothouse
Foren-Einsteiger

Wake-on-Lan Proxy with Raspberry Pi

Beitrag von scothouse »

Apologies if this question is posted in the wrong forum. I tried my best to find a spot where it might be found but not intrude on more pressing conversations.

Thank you so much for the very helpful instructions detailing how to use a Raspberry Pi as a proxy server for the Wake-On-Lan (WOL) function.

https://www.green-it-software.com/wake- ... pberry-pi/

Everything in your instructions is quite clear. However, I was curious if the client receiving the magic packet (i.e., the client to be woken) must be wired to the Raspberry Pi via ethernet, or if only the Pi's wifi connection is needed when broadcasting the magic packet. I understand the client must be connected to the LAN via ethernet for the WOL function to work. My client computers in question are currently wired to my network via ethernet and a wireless client bridge. Can I simply add the Pi to my network with a wifi interface for purposes of both receiving the WOL packet from the router as well as broadcasting it back out to the network?

Thanks again for your help in this.
JoachimL
WHS-Experte

Re: Wake-on-Lan Proxy with Raspberry Pi

Beitrag von JoachimL »

Hello,
a Wifi connection for the Pi should do, unless your access point implements filtering/isolation of clients (some do, often for guest networks).
Regards, Joachim
WHS r.i.p. - Software die nicht mehr gewartet wird sollte man nicht mehr einsetzen.
Bei mir laufen drei Dell T20, inzwischen alle unter Hyper-V-2019. Darauf viele virtuelle Maschinen, darunter Windows 10 Pro, Ubuntu 18.04/20.04 LTS (teilweise mit Docker), und auch mal andere. Ein T20 läuft 7*24 und stellt u.a. Mailcow-Dockerized und einen Samba-Domain-Controller (ein 2. läuft auf einem NUC) bereit. Klingt vielleicht seltsam, aber so ist das System - alle - mit Bitlocker verschlüsselt und kann vollständig und konsistent gesichert werden - beides sonst unter Linux schwierig bis unmöglich. Zum Sichern dient das von mir entwickelte Lindenberg Software Backup.
Fragen bitte nicht per PN sondern im Forum - dann haben andere auch was davon. Ich poste hier in meiner Freizeit, Ungeduld ist meiner Meinung nach fehl am Platz...
Antworten