Troubles with Lights-Out on DSM

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on Synology DSM are answered here
jiggypop
Foren-Einsteiger

Troubles with Lights-Out on DSM

Beitrag von jiggypop »

Have used lights-out for long time with WHS. Migrating to Synology NAS and trying to get Lights-Out setup. Followed instructions at https://www.green-it-software.com/help3 ... gyNAS.html and everything went fine except for I cannot connect to the http://<server>:7782 either with servername or explicit IP address, i.e.: http://192.168.1.100:7782

Checked network of local computer, and it is configured for private network. Not sure how to check the Synology.....any help/pointers would be appreciated.
jiggypop
Foren-Einsteiger

Re: Troubles with Lights-Out on DSM

Beitrag von jiggypop »

Is there a direct download link anywhere for the 3.0 client application anywhere since I can't seem to do it from my DSM-based NAS?
jiggypop
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jiggypop »

Uninstalled 3.0.2.4497 (Beta) and installed 3.0.1.4433 (Stable), and I am able to get to the 7782 port now and install the client.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Sorry for my late reply.

Unfortunately the 3.0.2.497 test version has expired. There was an unexpected delay in creating the release version (my father died 4 weeks ago).
I will update the test version with test build 4453 later today. The test version 3.0.2 addresses the latest Active Backup for Business changes and a problem with start-up.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Refresh of beta 3.0.2 is now available.

Regards
Martin
milleron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von milleron »

Now 4453 has expired, even though it's been out only 23 days, and there's no newer beta version
Zuletzt geändert von milleron am 14. Dez 2019, 04:45, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
milleron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von milleron »

Martin,

So, I did try uninstalling Lights-Out 3 on the Synology NAS. I then successfully reinstalled the last stable version, 4433, and supplied the license file.
It automatically installed the appropriate Client software on Windows, and I manually downloaded the matching console installer. So the stable version of 4433 is working on Windows, and the L-O3 Console is working on Windows. It shows that the version is licensed with support for almost a year.

On macOS Catalina 10.15.2, it's a very different story. I have uninstalled the Client, downloaded the appropriate 4433 version of the Client software, and installed it on the Mac. Mono was already installed, and Terminal already had Full Disk Access.
When I try to connect to the server, I see that the JoinServer software sees the Synology NAS and identifies the proper IP and the installed version of L-O-3, 4433. However, when I click "Connect," supply the user name and password, and click OK, that Server Credentials box closes and then immediately opens with the User Name and Password boxes blank. No matter how many times I type the User Name and password in, the result is the same -- the Server Credentials box simply closes and reopens over and over again, repeatedly. The JoinServer application cannot be shut down without invoking "Force Quit."
I have restarted the DS718+ and restarted the iMac with no resolution.

Could this have something to do with the new Catalina requirements for Certificates? My "Lights-Out internal" certificate was issued after 1 July, 2019, so I think there are additional requirements for certificates that new.

Thank you
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi Ron,

4553 has not expired, there must be another issue.

There are currently two issues which affect the Mac: The certificate requirements and an incompatibility in Mono 6.x. I'm working on both issues right now and hope to publish a new version before the holidays.

Regards
Martin
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Ron,

here's a release candidate of the soon to be release version 3.5. This includes full support for Cataline (including notarization). Please give it a try. This updates creates a new certficate on the NAS and configures it automatically. Simply update the NAS, then download the client package and update the mac with Catalina.
https://www.green-it-software.com/downl ... 2_Beta.spk

Happy new year!
Martin
jiggypop
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jiggypop »

Hi Martin,

Should this also work with Mojave? I installed it on NAS, downloaded client, attempt to connect to server via client, enter administrators username and password, click 'OK', and just get the same dialog box back again.

Thanks!
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Yes, it should work on all macOS versions since 10.9.

If you have a Windows machine also, can you verify that it can connect to the server? And that the Lights-Out Console is working?

On the Mac: Please zip the log folder /var/log/lights-out-client and send it via PM. In Finder select menu Go to, go to folder /var/log. Then right click "lights-out-client" and select compress.

Regards
Martin
jiggypop
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jiggypop »

Hi Martin,

PM Sent w/ logs. I know I said I had issues updating the console on Windows machine, but it worked this time, so client and console is both on the 4572 build.

Chris
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Thanks for the logs. I see an issue with the certificate.

If the console is working on Windows then please run the Lights-Out console and open settings. Click on the server tab. Download the logs and send the archive also via PM.

Thanks
Martin
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Had a second look at the logs. It seems to be a name resolution issue.
You replaced the server name with the IP-address to get a connection. Unfortunately, the IP-address does not resolve back to a name.
And then the SSL connection fails because the certificate requires a name and not an IP-address.

Try to verify the name resolution. Open a terminal and enter

ping servername

If that fails to resolve, please read https://www.green-it-software.com/help3 ... uters.html Preparation 3, Name resolution.
If that does not help either, then please add an entry in /etc/hosts.

Regards
Martin
jiggypop
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von jiggypop »

Thanks Martin! I added an entry to my /etc/hosts file and was able to connect the Mac.
Antworten