trouble with hibernate after backup, wol, and wireless device

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on Synology DSM are answered here
Antworten
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

trouble with hibernate after backup, wol, and wireless device

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

My laptop was working well with LightsOut and my NAS but every once in a while, the system reported corrupted memory. I think there is an issue with 'sleep' mode on my system, so I changed it to hibernate. Then LightsOut could not wake it up to do the scheduled backups. I went into the BIOS settings to enable WOL on the wireless adapter when in hibernation, and also enabled it on my wireless adapter. I don't know how it worked when I had it set to 'sleep' without that being enabled, but it did.

Now it wakes up to do the backup without any problems but it immediately wakes up again. The event viewer said that it woke up due to an event on the wireless adapter. If I hibernate the laptop using the power button (which I have configured to hibernate) it stays off as I would expect. I don't know if this is an issue with the adapter, the driver, the BIOS in my laptop or if LightsOut is sending a rogue wakeup.

Before I enabled WOL, I looked at the task scheduler to see if there was an entry to wake my system for a backup and didn't find one.
Is it possible to have LightsOut set a wake timer instead of using WOL to wake up my system for backups?
Are there any other settings either in LightsOut or on my laptop that I should be looking at?
Martin

Re: trouble with hibernate after backup, wol, and wireless device

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi BerverlyB,

Lights-Out already uses a timer (that's probably the reason why standby worked without wireless wol). You can see the timer if you open an administrative command prompt and enter:

powercfg -waketimers

You should also verify, that wake timers are enabled in your power plan. See here for details: https://www.green-it-software.com/help/ ... r_plan.htm (scroll to bottom).

In the bios, HPET should be enabled (high precision event timers).

Other than that, there's little I can do from Lights-Out.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

Re: trouble with hibernate after backup, wol, and wireless device

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

It looks like the power settings for the lid on my laptop was confusing things. If the lid was closed, it would go back to sleep as soon as it woke up.
I changed it so opening and closing the lid now has no effect. I have to press the button to put the laptop to sleep. I had to do that before with an older laptop.
Antworten