what backup software to use?

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on Synology DSM are answered here
Antworten
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

what backup software to use?

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

I am migrating from WHS2011 to Synology NAS and I'm confused about backup software options.

I want to use software that works the same way that WHS2011 client backups work - automated with deduplication.
Bare metal restore would be nice, too.

I was looking at Active Backup for Business but this is for a home environment. Does that matter?
Will Hyperbackup do what I want?

Does synology charge extra for the backup software?
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

Re: what backup software to use?

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

I settled on Active Backup for Business and it seems to work like the WHS2011 backup.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Active Backup is very similar to WHS Backup and only requires that you register your NAS with Synology.
Lights-Out supports Active Backup for Business.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

Lightsout doesn't seem to detect backup activity properly.
If I look under the computers tab of the console, it tells me there if a backup is running.
But on the status tab, the "Backup Activity" line is always greyed out.
On the backup tab of the console, Active Backup is greyed out. I can't check it.
But on the settings for my laptop, it shows that active backup is my backup provider.

Also, can it monitor time machine backups?
Time machine isn't listed on the backup tab but it shows on the computer tab that lights out knows that a backup is running.
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

I decided to manually start a backup this morning via the lightsout client and it didn't start.
I don't know how it started that first night. But I guess it wasn't from lightsout.
I did have a schedule on the backup task initially but took it off when I scheduled it with the lightsout calendar
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

It looks like both of the topics I started are converging on this issue.
I followed the instructions in the manual to ensure that the backup task name matches the name of my laptop.
I tried refreshing the backup provider for my laptop in the lights out computer settings several times.
Active backup is still greyed out and unchecked and I still cannot launch a backup using lights out.

Here's a screenshot of the PC and the associated task on the NAS
activebackup-snaphot.PNG
activebackup-snaphot.PNG (12.22 KiB) 8810 mal betrachtet
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

You have to make a small change for Active Backup for Business, see here https://www.green-it-software.com/help3 ... iness.html
It may be necessary to repeat this step a second time. I noticed that Synology does not always accept the change for the first time.

Should it still not work, then please collect the logs of server and client:

Server: Open Lights.Out Console, click on settings, select tab Server. There's a download button to download the zipped log files from the NAS.

Client: Simply zip the whole folder c:\programdata\LightsOut3Client\Logs (via right click, send to compressed folder) and attach the archive. If you do not see a folder c:\programdata, then open explorer options and enable "show hidden files and folders".

If you do not want to attach your log files here, either send an email to support@green-it-software.com or open a ticket here https://www.green-it-software.com/osticket/

regards
Martin
BeverlyB
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von BeverlyB »

I made that change already as shown in the attached image in my last post.
I tried deleting and re-creating the task (Big mistake! I lost the backups that had already been done manually!)
I tired all lower-case, mixed-case (first letter uppercase), and all uppercase.
It is still not working.

lightsout sees "Active Backup for Business" as the backup provider and can detect when a backup is running (the client shows the circle and notifies me that it is running and the lightsout console computer tab shows that it is running.

But is not detected as a monitored backup activity because the bo on the cosnsole backup tab is greyed out and unchecked no matter what I do.

I keep going back to the documentation and have gone through this exercise several times.

I created a ticket with the requested logs. (#368726)
milleron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von milleron »

Has there been any resolution of BeverlyB's problem via the Support ticket?
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Yes,
Lights-Out fails to detect ABfB on the NAS because there's no scheduled task. Can you please try to modify the client task and add a schedule? Then either restart the NAS or double click on the server and click on the refresh button on the bottom to trigger the detection again.
Antworten