Cannot install client on Mac

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on Synology DSM are answered here
Antworten
milleron
Foren-Einsteiger

Cannot install client on Mac

Beitrag von milleron »

I have had Lights-Out 3 running since shortly after it was introduced. I encountered NO problems.
However, I had to reformat my HD and reinstall macOS (currently Monterey, 12.5), and that requires reinstalling the Lights-Out 3 Client for Mac. I went through the preparation steps as specified in the manual. Mono installed easily. But I cannot ping the server. It works with servername.local, but even after adding "local" to the DNS Search-Domains list, ping still cannot resolve the name, in my case, "Synology." I even tried adding both "local" and ".local" and then rebooting the computer, but I cannot ping it without adding ".local" to the ping command. The iMac has both an Ethernet and a Wi-Fi connection. I added "local" to the Search-Domains box in both the Ethernet and the Wi-Fi sections of the Mac's Network pane in System preferences, and turned Wi-Fi off with no result

macOS Finder locates "Synology" on the network readily, and I can connect to it perfectly.
The Lights-Out Client installs and connects to the NAS, but it connects via "Synology.local," and it does not allow me to turn off the NAS. That's listed as "forbidden on this device."
Clues: If I select from the Finder menu Go/Connect to Server, I can do that using the smb protocol, but if I try the afp protocol, the computer automatically expands "afp://Synology" to "afp://Synology._afpovertcp._tcp.local," and that does connect."

Any suggestions?
Martin

Re: Cannot install client on Mac

Beitrag von Martin »

The only issue you have is, the "forbidden on this device".
Open Lights-Out Console, go tocomputers, double click the iMac and allow server actions.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
milleron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von milleron »

Martin,
Thanks, but I don't have a Lights-Out Console. This is an iMac. I'll borrow someone's Windows laptop and install Client software and Console on it, but is there anything else to do regarding the connection?
Like I said, I'm connected ONLY through "servername.local," NOT via "servername." In my setup, L-O shows "Server SYNOLOGY.local." Nothing I tried with DNS settings could get the Mac to resolve the NAS's name for sending a PING. Right now, the Client shows an option to Wake the server even though it's already awake. Is this connection to "servername.local," rather than to "servername," a problem that still must be resolved?
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

It does not matter if .local is used by Lights-Out, as long as a connection is established from the client.
However you need a Windows machine to configure the settings for the iMac client.
You will see two entries, the old one and the new one. Open the old one and remember the settings.
Then apply the settings to the new one and delete the old one.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

It does not matter if .local is used by Lights-Out, as long as a connection is established from the client.
However you need a Windows machine to configure the settings for the iMac client.
You will see two entries, the old one and the new one. Open the old one and remember the settings.
Then apply the settings to the new one and delete the old one.
milleron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von milleron »

Thanks very much. Will follow your instructions.
Just out of curiosity, why do the instructions for L-O Client seem to emphasize the importance of "getting rid of .local?"
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

That depends on the certificate. On your NAS, the certificate includes the.local. So it does not matter.
milleron
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von milleron »

Thanks again, Martin. Working on the program with the Console gave me the opportunity to bring my maintenance subscription up to date and extend it into late 2023. Lights-Out 3 works so well for me that I almost never enter a console and therefore never see the notification that my subscription has lapsed.
Everything here is working perfectly, once again.
If I might be so bold as to offer a suggestion, you might think about amending the instructions for installing the Client on macOS. The way it is written now gave me the impression that it was mandatory to get rid of the ".local." I spent a lot of time trying to do that, and it turned out that it wasn't important, in my case, at all. Around the world, there may be many users with setups similar to mine who could be similarly confused.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Glad it's working. I will try to improve the manual for the next release.

Regards
Martin
Antworten