My WHS2011 server is randomly being woken multi times a day and night

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
jandrews74
Foren-Einsteiger

My WHS2011 server is randomly being woken multi times a day and night

Beitrag von jandrews74 »

I've been a long-time user of WHS 2011 coupled with LIghtsout and its a great piece of software and its been pretty much trouble-free from day one.

However, as of the last few months, I've been having lots and lots of random events waking my server...and these will all be network packet related.

I have changed no settings at all on my WHS2011 server and all that has changed over time is the version of LO that is installed and running. I cant remember when exactly this started happeneing but it was certainly since LO3 has been up and running in the house.

Is there a simple way for me to trace what network devices are waking the server.....

TIA
Martin

Re: My WHS2011 server is randomly being woken multi times a day and night

Beitrag von Martin »

Unfortunately there's no simple way. Windows can only record the wake-up source, in that case the network card. But not the sender of the magic packet.

First check your network card settings, wake on pattern match should be disabled: https://www.green-it-software.com/help/ ... ts_nic.htm
Next verify, that your router is not configured for wake-up on the external address. This may also result in unwanted wake-ups if others are running a port scan on your public address.

Then try to find which devices are active at the unwanted wake-up times. You can also try to disconnect half of all devices. if you still see unwanted wake-ups then again disconnect half of the remaining devices etc. until you can identify the device.

My advice is: If there are only 1 or 2 unwanted wake-ups during the night, do not try to fight against. The server will usually go to standby after 5 or 10 minutes. If there are a lot more wake-ups or if there is a pattern, then try to find the source.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Antworten