Other PC waking when Client wakes server

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
Adrian Hudson
Foren-Einsteiger

Other PC waking when Client wakes server

Beitrag von Adrian Hudson »

I have a PC that has no Lights Out (LO) installed on it (it is enabled for WOL but for another purpose, nothing to do with the LO community of machines).

When a LO client is started and wakes the server, the PC above also wakes (it is obviously responding to the WOL broadcast). How do I make LO client WOL broadcasts specific to the LO server so that only it wakes?

I thought that if magic packets have a definite MAC address contained in them then only the machine with that MAC address will wake. It seems there is a file c:\ProgramData\LightsOut3Client\wakelist.json that has an entry for the server with the server's MAC address so it looks like LO is designed to include the server's MAC address in the magic packet.

Thanks
Martin

Re: Other PC waking when Client wakes server

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi Adrian,

I don't think that it's an issue with the magic packet. I assume that the other machine is configured for "wake on pattern match" and then any network packet will wake that machine. Can you please verify that the other machine is only waking up on magic packets and not pattern match?

If you still see this issue, then I need the client logs to verify that this is not a Lights-Out issue. Simply zip the whole folder c:\programdata\LightsOut3Client\Logs (via right click, send to compressed folder) and attach the archive to the ticket. If you do not see a folder c:\programdata, then open explorer options and enable "show hidden files and folders".

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Antworten