No backup under Lights-Out 2 or 3

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

No backup under Lights-Out 2 or 3

Beitrag von LanMan »

I am running Windows 10, Version 1903 installed June 23, 2019 and the last Quality Updates arriving July 23, 2019 on my computers. I am backing three computers up to a WHS2011 server using the WHS/Essentials Client Service. This system has work well for several years under LO1 and LO2 using the calendar to schedule automatic backup. However that has ended. The last successful back up on the most important computer was June 23. There has been only one successful backup on the computers since then. A few days ago, I Installed LO3 on both server and thinking the issues with Windows 10 had been resolved. They have not. No computer will back up under LO2 or LO3. All three computers are running the same version of Windows. The mother boards are ASUS and Dell. The odd things is that the LO3 Console lists the Dell computer as Windows computer but it lists the two computers with ASUS mother boards as MacIntosh Computers. Would you be able to direct me to a support article showing how to resolve the issue with failed backups. WHS2011 reports that the client computers are connected but otherwise seems to be normal. What are the first steps I should take?
Martin

Re: No backup under Lights-Out 2 or 3

Beitrag von Martin »

Does Dashboard show the connected computers as online (under Computers & Backup)? If not, you have to remove the WHS Connector and reinstall it again on all 3 machines. This is a known issue of Windows 1903 Upgrade.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von LanMan »

Thanks Martin,

Just as you suspected the Dashboard shows all computer "Offline" I will remove then reinstall the connectors. I am confident that will solve the problem. Thanks, Lanman.
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von LanMan »

The problem is now fixed and has been running for a few days successfully. Here is the process I used:
1. On the server: Reinstall LO3 Server App on the server retaining previous settings (Back UP settings, Calendars etc)
2. On the client: UnInstall LO3 Console App deleting all settings
3. On the client: Uninstall LO3 Client App deleting all settings
4. On the client: Uninstall WHS 2011 Connector deleting all settings
5. On the client: Re-Install LO3 Console App
6. On the client: Re-Install L03 Client App (WHS2011 Back Up was not listed in the choices for backup and the client was shown as off-line)
7. On the client: Re-Install the WHS2011 Connector retaining setting on the server for this client
8. On the client: Run the WHS2011 Dash Board and configure back up to the built-in WHS 2011 Backup
9. On the client: Run the LO3 Console and select "WHS/Essentials Client Back Up" which is now available
10. On the client: Run a test back up. Use console to check backup settings and software.
11. On the client: Let back up run for a few days and it functioned normally
12. Go to the forum to document the solution
13. Thank Martin for the guidance

Thanks Martin. WHS/Essentials is clunky, old fashioned amd slow when recovering files but it is fast, efficient and very reliable when backing up under schedules controlled by LO3. I am glad to have it and LO3 back as I have found no other backup block oriented software that fully deduplicates when storing backups for several computers.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi LanMan,

glad to hear you're up and running.

Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
LanMan
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von LanMan »

Just in case anyone has to (re) install LO3 on a server and one or more client computers here is some information you will need to know:

1. The path to your LO3 license file named "Lights-Out-*.license"

2. The email address associated with the license file

3. On the Server: The LO3 installer for Server is located here:
https://www.green-it-software.com/wpdm- ... r-windows/
This installer converts any computer into a Server

4. On the client: The installer for the LO3 Console App is here:
http://<server>:7782/installer (Replace <server> with the actual server name>
Install on a client computer only

5. One the client: The installer for the LO3 Client App is here:
http://<server>:7782/installer (Replace <server> with the actual server name>
Install on a client computer only

6. On the client: The WHS2011 Client Connector is located here: