Server behavior changed after hardware upgrade

Problems or questions about Lights-Out on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
eliu001
Foren-Einsteiger

Server behavior changed after hardware upgrade

Beitrag von eliu001 »

Hello!

Been using all versions of Lights-Out for a number of years. Currently using version 3 on Windows 10 set up as a media server. Settings are to wake the server at a specific time of day, and monitor clients to remain on. Wake server with client activity is disabled, so it stayed off/hibernated when clients are turned on. I was also able to put the server to sleep manually, and it would stay off once done so regardless of client status. I recently upgraded the boot drive from a SATA SSD to NVMe and added a couple more storage drives. Since the upgrade, the server no longer remains asleep when connected clients are turned on. Furthermore, on my computer I no longer am able to trigger "Save energy now", which now says "Save energy now (Forbidden for this device)".

Something similar happened when Lights Out v3 was released and the server automatically updated from v2. I was able to fix things by uninstalling/reinstalling on the server, but that didn't work this time. I also uninstalled/reinstalled on the clients, to no avail.

I am using, and always have used, Lights Out in Community Edition mode. Let me know if there's anything else you need in order to diagnose and solve the issue. Thank you!
Martin

Re: Server behavior changed after hardware upgrade

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi,

let's start with issue 1: unexpected wake-up. Please verify your network card settings. Wake by pattern match should be disabled! Please see here for more details https://www.green-it-software.com/help/ ... ts_nic.htm

Issue 2: Open Lights-Out Console, double click the client computer and enable server actions.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
eliu001
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von eliu001 »

Hello Martin - thank you for responding!

Issue 1 resolved with the info at the link you provided!

Issue 2 is still ongoing - I cannot check "allow server actions" because the box is grayed out, stating "This functionality is not available in the community edition". This is the case on both of my client computers - mine and my wife's. While the "Save energy now" option is disabled on my computer (says "Save energy now (Forbidden for this device)"), my wife's computer has the "Save energy now" command active.

Thank you again!
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

To handle issue 2 please right click the bulb icon on your client computer. Then click settings and enable server wake-up.
The community edition does not have centralized management, so you have to configure this on each client.

Regards
Martin
eliu001
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von eliu001 »

I do not see a "enable server wake-up" option in the Settings on my computer.

Bild

I want to be able to wake and sleep the server on-demand, outside of the scheduled powered-on period. I had this ability prior to the server hardware upgrade.

Thanks for all the help!
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

You see it on the left, on top. It's not enabled...
"Automatically wake server"
eliu001
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von eliu001 »

I don't want "Automatically wake server" enabled. I want the server to stay off when clients are turned on outside of scheduled times. That was fixed with the article you linked earlier. What I want is to be able to sleep the server on-demand. You can see that function is disabled in the screen shot ("Save energy now"). It was working on my computer before the upgrade, and still works on my wife's computer. Is this fixable?

Thanks!
JoachimL
WHS-Experte

Beitrag von JoachimL »

Lights-Out just knows who is the real boss.. ;)
Joachim
WHS r.i.p. - Software die nicht mehr gewartet wird sollte man nicht mehr einsetzen.
Bei mir laufen drei Dell T20, inzwischen alle unter Hyper-V-2019. Darauf viele virtuelle Maschinen, darunter Windows 10 Pro, Ubuntu 18.04/20.04 LTS (teilweise mit Docker), und auch mal andere. Ein T20 läuft 7*24 und stellt u.a. Mailcow-Dockerized und einen Samba-Domain-Controller (ein 2. läuft auf einem NUC) bereit. Klingt vielleicht seltsam, aber so ist das System - alle - mit Bitlocker verschlüsselt und kann vollständig und konsistent gesichert werden - beides sonst unter Linux schwierig bis unmöglich. Zum Sichern dient das von mir entwickelte Lindenberg Software Backup.
Fragen bitte nicht per PN sondern im Forum - dann haben andere auch was davon. Ich poste hier in meiner Freizeit, Ungeduld ist meiner Meinung nach fehl am Platz...
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Oh, sorry I missed it. That's a bug and get's fixed in 3.0.2.

In the meantime you can fix it yourself. Open services and stop the "Lights-Out 3 Client service". Then edit the file C:\ProgramData\LightsOut3Client\data\DeviceInfo.json. I recommend to use notepad ++ because you need administrative rights to write the file back.

Change the second line from

"allowserveractions": false,

to

"allowserveractions": true,

then save the file and restart the service.

Regards
Martin
eliu001
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von eliu001 »

Thank you for the info, Martin! I think I will wait for the v3.0.2 update to fix the issue.
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

Here's a preview build of 3.0.2 with the fix: https://www.green-it-software.com/downl ... 2.4448.exe
Antworten