Query regarding calendar and media sharing

Problems or questions about Lights-Out 2 on all Windows platforms are answered here
Antworten
andyjohn3
Foren-Einsteiger

Query regarding calendar and media sharing

Beitrag von andyjohn3 »

Hello all - I've been using Lights Out 2 for about a month now, and I am extremely impressed. These days, my media server is very rarely used due to streaming services, but I have been using the calendar function on Lights Out to ensure that the server is running during peak times (evenings and weekends) so it's ready if I need it. All other times it is hibernating, and in the process saving me money and being nice & quiet!

I do have a query though regarding the calendar. Sometime I may find that I want to use the server at home during a weekday, or after the calendar function has put the server back in energy saving mode. I am able to wake the server up with a WOL package, but as soon as the server is switched on, the 10 minute inactivity countdown starts, and once reached, the server will switch off again regardless of whether it is sharing media or not.

I know that I can extend the timeout period to beyond 10 minutes, which should help me,but is there a setting I can activate that will prevent the server from hibernating as long as a monitored client is accessing it, and/or a certain amount of network activity?

I apologise in advance if this is a silly question, but the server is run headless and I never find myself with much opportunity to play with the settings

Thanks for reading - Andy
Martin

Re: Query regarding calendar and media sharing

Beitrag von Martin »

Hi Andy,
you can either monitor clients directly:
- first enable monitoring of connected computers (global setting on monitoring tab)
- then enable per computer on tab computers (right click) or via client tray app

or you can monitor access to server shares:
- enable monitoring of shared folders (global setting on monitoring tab)

or you can monitor network activity (this one requires some fiddling with the correct value)
- enable mobitoring of network load (global setting on monitoring tab)

To manage a headless server, install the Lights-Out console software on your client computer.
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
Martin

Beitrag von Martin »

P.S. Moved to English support forums.

Regards
Martin
Essentials 2016 unter Windows Server 2022 auf HP Microserver Gen 8.
Entwickler von Lights-Out
andyjohn3
Foren-Einsteiger

Beitrag von andyjohn3 »

Sincere apologies for the delay. I kind of forgotten about this query, and was living quite unhappily with my server putting itself to sleep halfway through an episode once the calendar function deemed it the right time!

In the end I purchased a licence of the software, which enabled some settings to become usable, and as Martin suggested, enabled the monitoring of media shares.

It is now working wonderfully. After it's 10pm 'bedtime' I used an external app to wake the server from my android box, then watched an episode for the full 42 minute duration without incident, then the server put itself back to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity!

Thanks for your advice Martin!
Antworten